Re: SV: [OPE] The genocidal implications of biofuels

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@kth.se)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2008 - 11:41:46 EDT

on 2008-07-06 16:21 Martin Kragh wrote:

> Just a note on the food debate. If the majority of the populations in
> the so called Third World are producers of food, shouldn’t they
> benefit from rising prices? I have not seen any discussion of this in
> the media, which more often focus on urban regional problems than
> rural areas (even though this is where the majority of people live).

My guess is that the majority of food exported from the poor countries
is not produced by the rural peasantry engaged in small-scale
agriculture, but rather capitalist firms. In that case, rising food
prices will just be a reduction of their real incomes.

If you take a massive country like India, there are very few that
benefit from the food price inflation.

//Dave Z