SV: [OPE] Ricardo and The Iron Law Of Wages

From: Martin Kragh (Martin.Kragh@hhs.se)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 10:41:53 EDT

Hi,

A note. Reading original texts in their context is always a tricky thing and topics very often get obscured, especially in a lot of the more literary interpretations of political economy. However, the way I have read Ricardo there is nothing which supports a rigid interpretation of the subsistence theory of wages. Ricardo himself noted:

"Perhaps this is expressed too strongly, as more is generally allotted to the labourer under the name of wages, than the absolutely necessary expenses of production. In that case a part of the net revenue of the country is received by the labourer, and may be saved or expended by him; or it may enable him to contribute to the defence of the country."

D. Ricardo, Principles of Political Economy, The Works and Correspondence of David Ricardo, ed. P. Straffa, vol. 1, Cambridge, 1951, p. 348n.

In Ricardo there is no such thing as any "iron law" for anything, such assumptions would be counter to his whole methodology. I have never read any statement by Ricardo which was not immediately qualified, just as it should be in *good* social science.

Kind regards,
Martin