Re: [OPE] English-German translations? Erfurt Programme

From: Doğan Göçmen (dogangoecmen@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 16:07:46 EDT

Paul C:

"My question is: what is

a) the correct german original of the 'magistrates' who are to be elected.

b) the english word magistrate has two meanings (1) a judge in a minor court -- this is the everyday

meaning of the word, (2) a more classical meaning where a magistrate is an official of a republic, so

Julius Ceasar might be refered to as the 1st Magistrate of the Republic.

Which of these meanings did the Erfurt text bear in 1891. Was it a coded demand for a republic?"

"2. Direct legislation through the people, by means of the rights of
proposal and rejection. Self­determination and self­government of the
people in realm, state, province and parish. Election of magistrates by
the people, with responsibility to the people. Annual voting of taxes."

Paul, if I understand correctly you are after the word "magistrate" highlighted above (bold, italic). The original word in the original  document is "Behörden" ("Bhoerden"). To translate this word as "magistrate" is not correct. I would prefer to translate it as "administrations" because the words "Behoerde" and "Magistrate" have different meanings. Behoerde refer to some sort of body that has to implement decisions made by some other body, say, parliament, magistrate and so on. Magistrate in German, on the contrary, refer to the second meaning of the word in English (but not just to a person but also to a body of people). I hope this helps.

The other word I highlighted above is "selfgovernment". This I think should have=2
0been translated with "selfadministration".

Your last question I do not understand: "Was it a coded demand for a republic?"

Doğan Göçmen
Author of The Adam Smith Problem:
Reconciling Human Nature and Society in
The Theory of Moral Sentiments and Wealth of Nations,
I. B. Tauris, London&New York 2007