RE: SV: SV: [OPE] The genocidal implications of biofuels

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2008 - 10:14:27 EDT

Hi Martin:

Thanks for calling our attention to this WB Policy Research
Working Paper by Ivanic and Martin.  The authors of the study
speak to the issue made in our exchange in the following:

"The high shares of staples foods in the expenditures of poor
people increase their vulnerability to food price rises, while
*the limited share of output marketed by small, subsistence
farmers reduces their benefits*" (p. 20, emphasis added, JL)

Hence, one has to go beyond looking at this issue in terms
of "differentiating between producers and consumers". One
should also differentiate among producers.

In solidarity, Jerry