[OPE] The Dog Days of August?

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@tiscali.nl)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2008 - 07:27:35 EDT

I have not read the text you mention. But, Paul, I said nothing of the sort. I do know that the officially released list of names of the hijackers was questioned by various news agencies at the time, including NYT, BBC and Daily Telegraph. Are you arguing the hijackers were not Islamic?

What I am saying is that 9/11 provided a rationale for a war which killed, injured or disabled an enormous number of innocent Muslims, which from the point of view of the terrorists, whatever their precise motivation, must surely have been counterproductive at the very least, unless you believe they all went to heaven.

An important thing to note is that the official 9/11 Commission under Thomas Kean initially received only a $3 million (!) budget for its inquiry. Kean wanted at least $11 million extra because he could not very well organise such a massive job with such a budget. Only after a lot of wrangling did he get some extra money. It was chickenfeed compared to Monicagate or the shuttle disaster.

A number of the Commission's members could hardly be said to be fully impartial.  Mr Bush and Mr Cheney were not even required to testify under oath, and there is no record of what they said. The official account technically speaking must be a mixture of fact and fiction, a selective interpretation of the whole story, which will be probably be told only by historians. But as I said I'm not particularly surprised about all that, and the Bush administration has repeatedly demonstrated its utter contempt for the truth. We can talk a long time about democracy, but no democracy can function on the basis of lies. Sadly, there seems to be little prospect yet of the Democrats "opening the books" on the Bush administration, nobody has the guts to do it.

On that fateful day, I recall I woke up rather early in Amsterdam to go to work, and I played "Shattered" by the Stones and "Only living boy in New York" by Paul Simon on the stereo while breakfasting on muesli, it was a mood. My brother Tom, who lives in the States, was flying out to California for a business trip, that day. Then, at the Westerpark District Council lateron in the day, I could watch the first images of the plane crashes, on the hallway television. But that was not a conspiracy, but a coincidence.

Jurriaan