RE: [OPE] Question to Marxologists: Mode of production

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2008 - 03:53:02 EDT

That is a good point.

But one should not think that there is a one to one correpondance here. A given
configuration of the forces of production may be compatible with more than one
mode of production, though not with all possible modes of production.

Consider manual agriculture in the production of cotton in the USA, it
was compatible with both sharecropping and with slave relations of production.
On the other hand it is arguable that neither sharecropping nor slavery would
have been compatible with modern mechanised agriculture. The latter however
would be compatible both with private capitalism or with state farms or with
collective farms.

Paul Cockshott
Dept of Computing Science
University of Glasgow