Re: [OPE] Interview to Hobsbawm on the current importance of Marx and the 150 anniversary of Grundrisse

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 17:09:01 EDT

on 2008-09-16 17:49 marcello musto wrote:
> at this webpage you will find an interview to Hobsbawm published
> today on ZNet:
>
> http://zcommunications.org/znet/viewArticle/18828

Thanks for the link! Eric Hobsbawm has always something interesting to say.

Although I would dispute his claim that:

> Marx will not return to the Left until the current tendency among
> radical activists to turn anti-capitalism into anti-globalism is
> abandoned.

I don't think there is any serious Left movement that is against
globalisation in the sense of global integration. Rather Marx will not
return to significance in the Left until questions of economics and
state power are raised again. (Contra post-modernism, "cultural
studies", identity politics and "changing the world without taking power".)

//Dave Z