RE: [OPE] Dream of globalisation

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Thu Nov 13 2008 - 16:25:00 EST

> The median expected salary for a typical Instructor - Economics in the United States is $48,223
> http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_compresult_national_ED03000194.html
> This of course does not tell you about the overall distribution of pay rates, nor distinguish between
> part timers and full timers.

Hi Jurriaan:

The numbers - as far as I can tell - don't count part-timers.
Yet - as any faculty member from the US can tell you -
colleges and universities increasingly rely on part-time
faculty. It's not at all unheard of for there to be 20-30
part-time faculty in some departments for every one full-time
faculty member - although the average is less.
These faculty (including economists) are not only paid less,
but generally have little or no rights, little or no benefits (including
health care insurance), and little or no job security. They are
brought into and out of production on a 'flexible' basis which is
generally linked to enrollments.