RE: [OPE] real wages and productivity growth

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 08:31:57 EST

> > Key to Rick Wolff's explanation of the economic crisis> > was the claim that there is a long-term gap between real wages> > and productivity in the US (see, especially, his video lecture). > There is a problem with this in general as a thesis as the US as a > whole is massively overconsuming and under saving.

Hi Paul C:

I think that fits rather well with his thesis: in the presence of
long-term relatively stagnant real wages, working-class households
have been able to increase consumption only by increased
borrowing from financial institutions. In addition to stagnant real
wages, credit card debt is a major reason for the decreasing rate
of savings by these households. That's a HUGE bubble that hasn't
burst yet - and, at present, legally can't since Congress passed
legislation years ago which prevented consumers from declaring
bankruptcy as a way of nullifying credit card debt. How this will
be resolved is anybody's guess: if working-class families lose
their homes, other forms of tangible property, no longer have savings
or jobs, how will they possibly be able to pay back credit card debt?