Re: [OPE] Samir Amin, "Financial collapse, systemic crisis? Illusory answers and necessary questions"

From: Paula <Paula_cerni@msn.com>
Date: Mon Nov 24 2008 - 21:58:57 EST

Samir's paper says:
> The major caracter of this systemic crisis is related to the natural
> resources of the planet, now less abundant than half a century ago. The
> North-South conflict constitutes for that reason the central axis of
> coming struggles and conflicts.
[clip]
> The production and consumption-waste system at the moment forbids the
> access to the world natural resources for the majority of the planet,
> i.e. the peoples of the South. Previously, an emergent country could
> take its share of these resources without questioning the privileges of
> the affluent countries. But today, it is no more the case. The
> population of opulent countries -15% of the planet’s population- has to
> monopolize for its own consumption and waste 85% of the world resources,
> and cannot tolerate that newcomers may reach these resources, since they
> would provoke shortages for rich people’s standard of living.

My understanding is that Southern capitalism is consuming more of the
world's raw materials than ever before, to the extent of building up
monopolistic positions in some markets and/or regions.

Here is an article that argues that 'China's grab for Congo's mineral wealth
is behind the current wave of fighting, not ethnic tensions'
http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=10467

Paula