RE: [OPE] US Pledges Top $7.7 Trillion to Financial Institutions -Bloomberg.com

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Sat Nov 29 2008 - 16:28:50 EST

> Well if you really want to know... In Marx's model of capital accumulation (contrary to the Marxist
> model), accumulation can occur in two basic ways: simply put, either "I accumulate assets at
> your expense" (a redistribution of assets), or "we create more additional assets so that the total
> stock of assets available for distribution increases".

Hi Jurriaan:

It's important, imo, not to confuse accumulation with accumulation of _capital_. A
simple (or, not-so-simple) redistribution of monetary assets is not the same thing
as the accumulation of capital.

There is a macro/mico issue here: i.e. the expansion of the aggregate quantity of
capital vs. the (re-) distribution of capital among firms and branches of production.
Both (aggregate capital and how it is distributed) are important issues but
they are not identical. Of course, there are international dimensions as well:
the accumulation of capital on a global level and the distribution of capital
(and other assets) among national economies.

I'm sorry but I don't have more time at present to respond in greater length.
I'm afraid, also, that I don't have time to respond to some of your other recent
posts which surely are deserving of more attention.