Re: [OPE] *Results of Random Selection of Administrative Committee*

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 07:59:03 EST

The following message was sent to the top ranked individuals.
A copy is being sent to you - once again - for information,
transparency, and curiosity purposes.

I expect it might take some time before all the individuals get back
to me on this so it may be some time before we actually know who
will be on the AC.

Dear xxxxxx: You are among the top xxxx ranked individuals in the 'pool'for the next Administrative Committee (AC). This was determined by a double-blind random ranking procedure. The term of office for the new AC will be two years. This is a great opportunity for you to take part in anexciting social experiment in direct democracy by Marxian scholars! The functions and activities of the AC will be determined by the new AC itself - in consultation with the list coordinator and, where necessary, with periodic reports to the list. Thelist coordinator will have voice but no vote (except in cases of a tie) in AC deliberations. The responsibilities of the AC will include: o a review and decision on recommendations made for new members; o a review of existing list policies - where the AC decides that policies are in need of review; o resolutions of complaints, suggestions, and grievances madeby list members who are not part of the AC; o offering advice and direction to the list coordinator - eitherat the request of the coordinator or the initiative of the AC. Additionally, the AC may decide to expand its discussions toother matters, e.g. long-term planning of the list, new initiatives, etc. This is really up to the new AC. Decisions of the AC will be made by majority vote. This doesn't HAVE to be a big commitment. Putting aside special cases and emergencies, this SHOULDN'T require a lot of time and effort on the part of individual members of theAC. But, this depends in part on what the AC decides will be the scope of their activities. Of course, there are legitimate reasons for not serving on the AC(e.g. family, health, political activism, work and other professional commitments which make it impossible to serve), but I ask thatyou give this matter serious consideration and, if at all possible,agree to be on the AC. *DO YOU AGREE TO BE PART OF THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE?* Comradely, Jerry