[OPE] BBC stops to transmit to Latin America.

From: Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es>
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 03:07:28 EST

BBC stopped to transmit to Latin America. They keep their programmes on the Internet focusing on Latin America, but stopped to produce several programmes that nurtured before their continued operation in Spanish.   I remember when I was living in Venezuela, doing at that time a Master in Political Science at Simón Bolívar University http://www.usb.ve/ I was still a supporter of Chávez.   BBC in Spanish was transmitted through the “Radio Cultural de Caracas”. It was a delight to have this source of information in a country where you can’t trust neither the media against Chávez nor the media supporting him. BBC was a fairly reliable source.   I e-mailed them asking their reasons for stopping their operation in the continent, and the answer was that strategic decisions motivated this change. In the link below they further explain that the reason answers to “new necessities of the market”.   http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/news/newsid_7304000/7304552.stm   It wouldn’t surprise me if they decided to take a move toward Asia. And it is depressing for me to confirm that there is so little hope about the future of Latin America.   Regards,A. Agafonow