RE: [OPE] Value-Form Theory 101

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Dec 09 2008 - 10:03:23 EST

 .

 Gerry:

It doesn't require much intellectual sophistication and profundity on
your part

to recognize that for a commodity to represent value it must have
use-value

and exchange-value. If a product does not have exchange-value, the
market

itself will demonstrate that it does not have value. This is a
necessary

consequence of the production and circulation of commodities under
capitalism.

It is not a "deduction" - it is a relation which we (and everyone else
who

considers the question more thoroughly) can see is a necessary
consequence

of the essential character of capitalism. It's why we speak about
value being

_realized_ (=_actualized_).

Abstract labor having a necessary relation to the market is also
something

that follows from the character of capitalist relations. Of what
"value" to

capitalists or to capitalism is labor which is "wasted" by producing

'commodities' which fail the test of the marketplace: i.e. whether they
can

become what they were intended to become by being sold?

Paul:

This of course has been the subject of much discussion on the list,
whether abstract

Labour is a property of the market or is 'simple undifferentiated
expenditure of human energy'

And as such something prior to and a condition of existence of, markets.