Re: [OPE] In the USA it's official: consumers are workers (human beingswith jobs)

From: Paula <Paula_cerni@msn.com>
Date: Tue Dec 09 2008 - 20:20:22 EST

Jurriaan wrote:

"That's equal to about 48 million worried workers, or about one in six US residents. Notice how this becomes a problem for capital accumulation."

I was just reading in the Grundrisse about the relation between production, distribution, exchange and consumption - they are not identical but 'form the members of a totality, distinctions within a unity'. Production predominates, but '[a]dmittedly, however, in its one-sided form, production is itself determined by the other moments'. Jurriaan is perhaps pointing to an example of this.

Concerning consumers, workers, and fear, this recent story about a Walmart employee trampled to death by shoppers is horrific:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081129/ap_on_re_us/wal_mart_death

"Pretty soon, they're going to be afraid of asking if they can go to the toilet"

In the near-absence of the traditional organizations that used to protect, unite and inspire workers, this kind of thing becomes matter of course, as do divisions, suspicions, stabbings in the back, trampling to death, and of course war ... pure survival of the fittest.

It's the price humanity pays for the failures of the left - and I'm sorry to sound so negative, but I'm very concerned.

Paula