Re: [OPE] Value form theory 101

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 09:18:29 EST

GERALD LEVY wrote:

> I realize that some VF theorists - like Chris A and Tony S - have
> written a
> lot on their interpretations of Marx. But, let us not forget that the
> IMPORTANT
> analytical question is our conception of CAPITALISM. How we conceive of
> capitalism also has huge implications for our conceptions of
> post-capitalism:
> the categories that are viewed by some as being trans-historical will be
> retained in post-capitalist societies whereas the categories that are
> viewed by
> others as specific to capitalism will be transcended and surpassed.

 You are right that this is one of the reasons that this is a key question.
My impression though is that those who say that abstract labour will be
transcended in the
future are a bit vague about what this means in concrete social terms.
What are seen as the
production relations and form of reproduction that prevail in social
formations in which abstract labour has been transcended?