Re: [OPE] Special TV report on Venezuela (epistemological and scientific questions)

From: <dogangoecmen@aol.com>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 12:48:39 EST

Dave:
=====
Let me first say that I too subscribe to the philosophy of scientific realism. However, this seems like a misuse of the word 'scientific' and its application to political analysis. Science is the construction of parsimonious, internally consistent models that can reliably predict observations. A scientifically informed political position must be based on some reliable model of the social process in question, that is often very hard although historical materialism provides a general framework for developing such models.

Dogan:
======
"misuse" is of course a strong claim. I am not sure what you mean by onstruction of "internally consistent models" to predict observations. I was wondering whether you mean by construction some sort of a priori models. If this is the case I guess you use some kind of Kantian concept. To put it into a question whom do you rely on in your theory of scince I have still to clarify many questions in detail concerning the theory of models. But I am not very fond of models. I prefer rather to use the concept of mirror. Mirror theory reflects social structures,relations and their tendencies by generalising and putting them into categories.  I would be interested in what you say: "historical materialism provides a general framework for developing such models". Can you say a bit more on this?

Dogan