[OPE] Debates on capitalism 101

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 07:46:16 EST

> 1) What is a reasonable interpretation of a text? > What is the message, the internal consistency of > the text -in this case Marx' texts.

Hi Anders:

I categorically and emphatically reject this as a suitable starting point.

To begin debates which concern the character of *capitalism*
with the issue of the "internal consistency of the [Marx's] text"
is a regression and deference to authority.

It is also a biased and relatively uncritical way to proceed.

It focuses attention on an *entirely secondary issue* and
keeps out of focus the real subject matter (capitalism).

It is a procedure which has characterized most Marxian debates
since Marx's death and has an abysmal and deplorable
record from the standpoint of shedding light rather than heat.

Rather than reply to anything else in your post, I have remained
focused on the first issue. First things first. And that doesn't mean
discussing Marx first!