Re: [OPE] Services (->Paula)

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 06:34:13 EST

Jurriaan Bendien wrote:
> As I mentioned before, I think those Marxists who like Paul C. and
> Dave Z. adopt a crudified Stalinist theory of productive labour
> (analogous to the Material Product System) should have a read of:

We don't adopt the something like the Material Product System, which if
anything that is a Smithian theory. It would be a lot easier to discuss
if you stop labeling people and engage in the arguments instead.

> The problem with 99% of all the Marxist pontifications about
> productive and unproductive labour is that they fail to tackle the
> foundational concepts and problems to which those notions refer, in
> any profound way.

Yes, you may think that we do not 'tackle the foundational concepts' but
the fact of the matter is that our starting point is the original
Smithian concerns in Wealth of Nations along with Marx's theory of
relative surplus value. That is clear to anyone who reads our article in
Science & Society.

Have a look at Grieve's paper that I attached in the previous mail. Tell
me whether he tackles the foundational concepts or not.

//Dave Z