RE: [OPE] Samuel Bowles[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 13:52:23 EST

Paula
------
Crucially important is the connection between the evolution of the hand
(hence the capacity for labor) and language (hence sociality and abstract
thinking). There's research about this that we're not following closely
enough. For example, in the last ten years or so it has been found out that
there's a representation of the hands in an area of the brain heavily
involved in the production of speech (called Broca's area, located in the
left hemisphere).

Paul

----
Are you sure this is really recent?
I remember being told about it by my mother when I was a child, and she would have known it on the basis of her medical school traiing in the 40s and 50s.