RE: [OPE] Services (->Paula)[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 07:44:55 EST

Let us consider a particular case, the Aldermaston H bomb factory. This was recently privatised to
Jacobs Engineeringf.

I assume that you would agree that whilst it was a state factory it was unproductive.
Do you content that by handing its running over to a private company this now became productive!

If so, it seems to me that your definition of what is productive leads to absurd conclusions, ones
that turn critical political economy into apologetics.

Assume for now that there is no change to the technology of H bomb design.
If the cost of an H bomb was once £20Million, of which £10 million went on plutonium, tritium etc,
£5 million on wear and tair of equipment, £1 million on energy and £4 million on wages.

Previously the Navy got the H bomb for £20 million. Suppose Jacobs now sells it to the Navy
for £25 million.
Well has any new value been created?
No, the labour required to make the bomb has not changed, but formerly the state got it for
the labour power cost of manufacture, now it gets it for the labour power + surplus labour.
Nothing more has been produced, the additional cost must be met by higher taxes. Since
such taxes are a deduction from the total social surplus value, the gain of Jacobs is at the
cost of the capitalist class as whole.

Paul Cockshott
Dept of Computing Science
University of Glasgow