[OPE] Marshall's rules for the use of methematics

From: Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es>
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 04:38:33 EST

Looking up on the Internet information about journals of Political Economy to submit a manuscript by the middle of this year, I found this important advice as part of the editorial policy of Contributions to Political Economy.   Authors are urged to adopt, as far as possible, Marshall's rules for the use of methematics: "(1) Use mathematics as a shorthand lauguage, rather than an engine of inquiry. (2) Keep to them till you have done. (3) Translate into English. (4) Then illustrate by examples that are important in real life. (5) Burn the mathematics." (Marshall to Bowley, 27th February 1906; in Memorials of Alfred Marshall, edited by A. C. Pigou, p. 427. http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/conpec/for_authors/index.html     I wonder if some of the members of this list have abused of mathematics following the pernicious trends of mainstream economics.   Sincerely yours, A. Agafonow