Re: [OPE] Services (->Dave)

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 09:12:27 EST

Peter Fleissner wrote:
> Irrespective of the levels of abstraction with respect to prices
> and values one can consider just use values (level 3) which are associated
> with values and/or prices. Use values (3) remain invariant if you look at
> them at the level of values or at the level of prices. Surplus product [ =
> in German: “Mehrprodukt”] is part of the perspective on use values.
> [...]
> Labor is productive (B) if a surplus product is produced. If a surplus
> product is produced also surplus value is produced (if the markets allow for
> it). Without surplus product no surplus value can be produced.
> [...]
> To find out if there is a positive surplus product we can apply the concept
> of simple reproduction.

Let's consider a two-class toy-economy at 'level 3', which produces IRON
(means of production), CORN (means of consumption) and LUX (Fabergé eggs
etc.). The real wage is CORN. The basic sector is IRON and CORN.

Let's assume simple reproduction, i.e. no accumulation of IRON. Then the
surplus product of the entire economy consists of CORN and LUX consumed
by the capitalist class. However, since the basic sector is capable of
self-reproduction it also produces sub-surplus product consisting of
IRON and CORN. Part of the CORN is what is directly consumed by the
capitalist class.

The LUX sector takes the rest of this surplus product (as means of
production and real wages), consumes it and transforms it with labour
into a new surplus product. Thus the LUX sector exists entirely because
surplus labour is extracted from the workers in the basic sector and is
materialized in the form of the sub-surplus.

//Dave Z