[OPE] Prograssive Economists Statement

From: Jerry Levy <jerry_levy@verizon.net>
Date: Sun Jan 18 2009 - 08:59:05 EST
>From URPE-Announcements list. / In solidarity, Jerry

Dear URPE members and friends,
As many of you know, there was a large meeting in December at the Schwartz Center in New York of economists from across the wide progressive spectrum, to try to work out a common progressive proposal for a response to our serious current economic problems and the connected existing financial structure.
This statement has now been edited and published on the Web at the PERI web site, . There are two documents there. There is a shorter “Principles For Economic Recovery And Financial Reconstruction From Progressive Economists.” There is longer document with more concrete details “Progressive Program for Economic Recovery and Financial Reconstruction.”
I want to encourage as strongly as I can all URPE members and friends to read these collective efforts by US progressive economists. Then for those of you that find you agree with their general content, I want to encourage you to do two things: 1) sign on in support of the document at the third link that is provided with the other two link, and 2) use the documents in your teaching and activist work, and let others know of their existence.
I also would be interested in knowing if anyone is fundamentally NOT in agreement with the documents (and of course why), from a left perspective. If that is the case, and if we can get such a person to the URPE summer conference in August, I think we could have an excellent debate on how progressive economists should move forward in responding to this economic crisis, the biggest and in addition most structurally threatening to the status quo (and therefore, hopefully, the biggest opportunity for fundamental change) that any of us have seen in our lifetimes.
In solidarity, Al Campbell (Al@economics.utah.edu)