Re: [OPE] Hillel Ticktin, "Notes on the Last Few Months"

From: Paul Zarembka <zarembka@buffalo.edu>
Date: Sun Jan 18 2009 - 10:12:59 EST

There is something wrong with the current world unemployment rate of the
labor force being claimed to be 6% currently (is this to be Marx's floating
reserve army of labor against the total labor force?) while 25% in the
1930s.

Just take the unemployment rates in China, India and the Soviet Union in
the 1930s. In these countries, for different reasons, the unemployment
rate for the total labor force was closer to 1-2%. Brazil in the 1930s did
not go to very high unemployment levels. Etc.

My point is that the numbers require a lot of work to figure out a
comparison.

Paul Z.