Re: [OPE] Stalin voted third most popular Russian

From: Paula <Paula_cerni@msn.com>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 19:14:04 EST

Dogan wrote:
"when I was sometime ago in Russia I realised that people entertain a stron nationalism in Russia."

IMO Russia today is a major imperialist nation. From Soviet times she has inherited a political and military influence greater than its relative economic weight, which she is now aggressively trying to exploit (witness the recent conflict with Georgia and current wrangles with Ukraine). My guess is that the people of Russia support this strategy because, in the absence of an alternative, they believe (not unreasonably) that it's the only way to defend their jobs and livelihoods in the global competitive race.

Paula