Re: [OPE] New book on the economics of climate change

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 05:53:44 EST

Gerald Levy wrote:

> Hi Paul C:
>

> If climate change goes beyond the 'tipping point' there are any
> number of relatively unpredictable
>

> and negative climatic (and other) consequences. The idea that global
> warming could cause global
>
> *cooling is not "complete rubbish" (see below). One reason why
> knowledge about what is believed to have *
> **
> *caused global cooling in the past can not be applied simply to the
> current period is that global warming today *
> **
> *is a consequence of _human_ activities. That certainly couldn't have
> been said about major climatic changes *
> **
> *on Earth in the distant past.*
>

> In solidarity, Jerry

Ok I see what you are refering to now, the thermo haline circulation.
I would say that any effect that warming would have on this is likely to
be self limiting.
If the thermo haline circulation falters and produces local cooling in
the northern hemisphere
the runoff from greenland will halt, restarting the circulation. This is
unlike the younger dryas or 8k event
when impounded glacial lakes of huge extent seem to have been released.
There are no comparable lakes
on greenland.