RE: [OPE] it's not going to be OK

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 11:24:49 EST

Hi Paula:

The end of the story laments the weakness of the Left in the US
(and gives a fairly accurate picture of that in the last two
paragraphs, imo). But, will that reinforce the prospect of
totalitarianism? Let's recall that arguably the most
reactionary and totalitarian governments in capitalist nations
in the 20th Century arose in large part in response to the *strength*
of the Left and, especially, the fear of revolution. That was
especially the case with fascist governments. Overall, I'd say that
this article is not too thought out and too full of assertions
about what allegedly will happen - including the sloppy statement that
can't be disproven "It's just a matter of time". I remember a similar
kind of simplistic reasoning by the US Left in the early 1980s.

In solidarity, Jerry

"The economic crisis could plunge the U.S. into a long period of social instability. Our democracy is in peril; the threat of totalitarianism is real.", says Chris Hedges:

http://www.alternet.org/workplace/125192/?page=1