Re: [OPE] Odyssey and the Peruvian treasure

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@tiscali.nl>
Date: Mon Feb 09 2009 - 15:32:30 EST

Although I do not jurisprudentially know the complete circumstances of the case, I reckon the treasure belongs neither to Spain or to Peru, but to the explorers who found it, who cared enough about human history to search for it, and find it (though of course they wanted the monetary worth as well).

But why can't the explorer also be understanding and generous to a reasonable extent, and share a fraction of the wealth with those descendants of colonialism who would get real benefit from it, who are to be found both in Spain and in Peru? Why can 't a horror of history not be turned into a blessing?

For a scientific person, the supreme value is the real discovery of what you have been looking for all the time. But this assumes that you have actually been working at finding it, that your eye has been educated to recognise what you're looking for.

Money will never solve social problems, although it can help materially. Social problems are solved only by a completely realistic understanding of what they are, by love (in the broad sense), and by the will of the people to do something about them.

Jurriaan

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/theater/images/clockwork_big.jpg