Re: [OPE] Odyssey and the Peruvian treasure

From: Gerald Levy <jerry_levy@verizon.net>
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 15:29:56 EST

> Oh, very obviously there is a difference between wealth and value;

Jurriaan:

That was the point I was making to Alejandro A.

You wrote in a previous message:

> Of course, the gold also represented value and labour-time in non-capitalist societies.

To which I respond: of course, the gold represented labour-time to those societies,
but that does not also mean that it represented value. Of course, the gold was
deemed to be 'valuable' in those societies, but 'valuable' in not the same as 'value'.
This is not merely a linguistic distinction.

The value relationship, at least the way I understand it, concerns a particular set
of social relationships related to the meaning of *commodity*.

Did the he gold produced in the Aztec and Inca empires take the commodity form?