Re: [OPE] Odyssey and the Peruvian treasure

From: Gerald Levy <jerry_levy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 07:42:32 EST

> I don't know what you mean.

Jurriaan:

Then I guess I need to break it down for you.

You had previously written:

> Well just to save a lot of ostentation, my view is that products possess the attribute of value
> simply and minimally because it takes human effort to produce them, and they have that value
> irrespective of whether they currently happen to be traded and irrespective of whether they have
> prices or not.

The above, as I later observed, conflated 'product' with 'commodity'.

In your next post, you put forward a *very* different view, namely, that commodities are
"wares intended for sale in the market, normally products of human labour".

That (especially the inclusion of "intended for sale in the market") as I later remarked, was an
improvement over your previous formulation since it does not repeat your prior conflation of the
two terms.