Re: [OPE] "Parasitism"

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 18:40:59 EST

Paula wrote:
> This appearance is quite correct, so I can't understand your objection.

This misses my point.

   1. Your analysis of productive labour is based on what "creates
      value" within capitalism.
   2. Your concept of value in turn defined as "a material relation
      between people that takes the form of a social relation between
      *things*".
   3. You justify this on the basis of Marx's writing.
   4. In my view this is a misreading not only of his concept of value
      but more specifically his repeated use of 'form of appearance'.
   5. The form of appearance of something is never its essence in Marx's
      terminology. To take the *form* of something as its *definition*
      as you do above is a misreading which leads to the conclusion that
      services, even when produced as commodities, have no value because
      they are not "things".

The general mistake here is a misconceptualisation and re-mystification
of labour-value which political economy uncovered as the basis of
economic value.

//Dave Z