Re: [OPE] Venezuela is the most democratic country in LatinAmerica[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

From: Dave Zachariah <dave.zachariah@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 27 2009 - 05:07:42 EST

2009/2/26 paul bullock <paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk>

> I suppose you accept the point I made about German elections and Hitler.

No Paul, I don't and I think you missed my point completely.

My point was against Jerry's implication that what citizens decide
collectively cannot have anti-democratic consequences.

Citizens of varying class compositions can opt for authoritarian
institutions if they *perceive* that the institutions that are supposed to
channel their is incapable of doing it. The framework of liberal
parliamentarism in Europe had failed to deal with the crisis following WWI.
Large masses of citizens perceived some form of authoritarian rule as
superior. A large share of the German population opted for NSDAP, no amount
of revisionism can change that.

//Dave Z