RE: [OPE] Reply to the thinker

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 06:56:46 EDT

Jurriaan:

I was simply following Dave Z's suggestion and stripping your posts of
unnecessary rhetoric and (I'm sorry if you don't like this word)
miss-representations. I would have preferred that you try to hone
your argument yourself, but since I tried to get you to do that on
numerous occasions without success, I did the editing myself.

You may have tried to do what you claim in the first paragraph below,
but you have not succeeded, imo. Before you can critique a school of
thought, first you have to *accurately* know what *everyone* in that
school has *in common*. Your summary of alleged VFT perspectives show
that you haven't completely grasped that. In a way that's understandable
because VFT has more theoretical heterogeneity than many other schools.
There is a simple and practical way of dealing with that, though: you
could critique Reuten-Williams, _or_ Roth/Eldred (1978), _or_ Arthur,
or T. Smith, etc.

In solidarity, Jerry

PS: I'm not "committed to VFT".