Re: RE: [OPE] 5 difficulties writing truth

From: <he31@verizon.net>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 11:20:25 EDT

The Darko Suvin article you put us on to is the secondary source that specifies 5 difficulties -- couldn't have done without it!

Clearly the difference in the summaries is one of translation -- so now we need to track the german . . . that must be online.  I like the Bloch version better, but it seems clumsier English than need be.

howard

Howard Engelskirchen
he31@verizon.net

Mar 17, 2009 07:26:13 AM, ope@lists.csuchico.edu wrote:

> The quote is actually from Brecht's 1935 essay, Writing Truth: 5 difficulties.

Hi Howard:

The first sentence in the "Summary" on page 7 is very similar, but
not quite the same. I guess it's a matter of a somewhat different
translation. The source you just gave, btw, appears as an appendix
in the Eric Bentley ed. version of _Galileo_, the play by Brecht.

Perhaps the lesson of the thread should be 'don't rely exclusively
on secondary sources if one wants to write the truth'? My mistake.