RE: [OPE] value-form theory redux

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 18:59:50 EDT

> Dogmatism is unavoidable when pursuing a research
> project - the cost is high so one must be convinced one is right.

Hi Phil:

I don't at all agree that dogmatism is unavoidable. It *must*
be avoided if one wishes to pursue a genuine research project.
But, I do understand how easy it is for many, *especially
Marxists*, to become dogmatic. Everyone, I think, needs to
reflect upon this praxis and ask themselves _why_ it has become
so prevalent in certain intellectual and political circles.

> However, there can come a time when the difficult task of opening one's
> mind to the thought of others is a "growth experience".

Yes, that _is_ difficult but _necessary_. Communication among those
with different perspectives, especially those who employ different
paradigms and methodologies is never easy. Just _listening_, I mean
_really_ listening, takes practice: it's a matter of 'learning by
doing'.