Re: [OPE] value-form theory redux

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 05:19:06 EDT

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 01:44 +0000, Paula wrote:
> Dave's concept of 'economic value' as commensurability does not sufficiently
> distinguish between value and use-value.
> When we talk of value here we are talking of embodied labour value. One
can in principle have other value bases - energy value for example.
Now these other bases are much less successfull than embodied labour
in predicting actual prices, but they share certain formal properties
with labour.

When we have a value basis it is in mathematical terms something that
allows us to perform a projection operation from a vector of commodity
holdings onto a one dimensional subspace or basis vector.

This formal property of dimension reduction is shared by a variety of
different possible value bases. Subjective commensurability does not
enter into it, since one can compute the energy, carbon or labour value
of different products by the same means.