Re: [OPE] peanut butter value-form theory

From: Philip Dunn <hyl0morph@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 20:47:14 EDT

Hi Jerry

A point about use-value. Do dodgy crackers have no use-value because
they can't be sold or is that they can't be sold because they have no
use-value?

I am not at all sure we have agreement here.

I use the term use-value as indicating an item, in a sense quite neutral
in regard to usefulness. The difference between a contaminated cracker
and a wholesome one has no bearing on value theory. Use-value is merely
a substratum which may or may not be formed as a Value, a commodity.

Consequently, when you say unsold bad crackers have no use-value I
demur.