Re: [OPE] peanut butter value-form theory

From: Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 04:11:11 EDT

Zachariah   The link that you, Zachariah, provided doesn’t say anything about the ‘worth’ of resources. I’m not suggesting that each production process in a capitalist economy is directed by an entrepreneur, and these entrepreneurs have not confirmed the predictions of the labour theory of value. That’s what you Labor Theorists of Value mistakenly think when introduce a ‘ceteris paribus clause’ stopping technological change driven by entrepreneur. This ceteris paribus clause forces you to think mistakenly in the allegedly gravitational force of labor.   Reagards, A. Agafonow ________________________________ De: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se> Para: Outline on Political Economy mailing list <ope@lists.csuchico.edu> Enviado: domingo, 5 de abril, 2009 12:22:39 Asunto: Re: [OPE] peanut butter value-form theory Alejandro wrote: > >  > “A scalar quantity that allow different goods and services to be compared for the purpose of managing resources” is a ‘theory of exchange’ > It is not really a theory of anything, just an attempt to make clear what 'economic value' means irrespective of a theory of this scalar (i.e. how it comes emerges in real historical processes or what function it may have in the dynamics of certain economies). It is certainly not a theory of exchange, only orthodox economics would think that economic evaluation requires exchange of commodities. There are more ways this could work and has worked in history. > ‘Value’ is a deeper phenomenon which goes to the more fundamental question of the ‘worth’ of resources > Precisely this is what my clarification above says. (http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/ope/archive/0903/0161.html) > > I don’t have an alternative theory of value. I work under the framework of the subjective theory of value. > These two sentences contradict each other. Unless you meant to say that your 'subjective theory of value' has no testable claims, then of course it would not be a scientific theory at all. Indeed you were unable hint at any testable content in your reply to me: > > The real world institutions and practices which day after day let you enjoy a pile of commodities that make your life easier and that you just take for granted. > In your reply to Allin, however, you did seem to suggest some mechanisms. Your theory seems to rest on some mythical agent known as the 'entrepreneur'. Are you suggesting that each production process in a capitalist economy is directed by an entrepreneur? For the sake of argument let's suppose that is the case. I ask you:   Why have these entrepreneurs made decisions that have confirmed the   predictions of the labour theory of value? //Dave Z _______________________________________________ ope mailing list ope@lists.csuchico.edu https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/ope