RE: [OPE] carbon tax

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 09:13:42 EDT

> The price that carbon rations would sell at will be determined by the labour theory of value as
> modified by the law of differential rent.
> If the total issue of carbon rations falls by say 2% a year, the rich will not be able to choose an
> arbitrarily low price to buy them from the poor.

Hi Paul C:

Given the extreme poverty of people in many parts of the world,
the rich WILL be able to buy set the price artificially low.
We have lots of real world experience with this - e.g. where
farmers sell the mineral rights on their farms to corporations
for (basically, and in some cases, actually) pennies. This is
happening today in the US with the purchasing of rights for
natural gas (hydraulic fracturing) drilling. The poor -
especially in the context of global poverty- are not in a position
to be price makers ... unless they exhibited a degree of
international solidarity which they have not, as yet, exhibited.

In solidarity, Jerry

*THAT 25 CENTS THAT YOU PAID*
Sarah Ogan Gunning (from the album
"Come All You Coal Miners")

Sad the day when I saw the steam shovels a-comin'
The clank of their wheels as they clattered along
Deep in my heart a voice seemed to be saying
Good-bye my sweet home, you soon will be gone.

In 1880 (typo?, JL) my folks were rejoicing
They'd sold the mineral rights on the farm
For twenty-five cents an acre they sold them
My folks didn't know they would do any harm.

Leave them alone, please don't disturb them
Don't dump the yellow clay mud over their graves
Although the law may say you have a right to
Because of that twenty-five cents that you paid.

The house it was the home of my father
His father and mother they lived there too.
Now they all lay asleep beneath the green willow
Along with their wives and their children so dear.

Leave them alone, please do not disturb them
Don't dump the yellow clay mud over their graves.
Although the law may say you have a right to
Because of the twenty-five cents that you paid.

Don't force me to leave the house I was born in
Don't force me to leave the land dear to me
Just take back the twenty-five cents that you gave them
And just go away, and please let us be._______________________________________________