Re: [OPE] question re published letters Engels

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 05:26:49 EDT

I can not speak for Jurrian here, who is evidently very able to express
his own views, but I must say that my own opinion of Bettleheim went
down over time. I was impressed with him as an undergraduate, but as the
70s progressed and successive volumes of his work on the USSR came out
and seemed to tell me little that I did not know from other sources,
and as he showed the same obssession with the very early years as one
gets with Trotskyist historians or with Carr, I became disenchanted. I
had been hoping for a good historical treatment of the 40s to the 60s
and found very little of substance.
Allin and I made some brief criticisms of him in our critique of
Ambedcar http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/%7Ewpc/reports/ambedcararticle.pdf