Re: [OPE] webpage computing dynamic rate of profit

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 04:11:58 EDT

Allin Cottrell wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2009, Paul Cockshott wrote:
>

>> Here is the webpage that Tamerlan has put up to compute the
>> trends of real and equilibrium profit rates for any country in
>> the Penn World Tables Click on the analysis heading to get it to
>> do the computation then select the country you want
>> http://compbio.dcs.gla.ac.uk/profits
>>

> You get a choice of "filtered" and "unfiltered" versions. What
> sort of filtering was done?
It is based on what Dave did in his work on the topic, his filter was a
centered 5 year moving average, we have changed it to a 3 year moving
average with the convolution coefficients
0.5*x(t) + 0.3*x(t-1)+ 0.2*x(t-2)
> Does this correspond to the
> distinction within the Extended Penn World Table between the raw
> series and those "corrected for the business cycle"?

I am not sure how the EPWT correct for the business cycle
> I have a suggestion for making the graphs more readily
> comprehensible: use colors, and display separate graphs for the
> filtered and unfiltered versions. With four dot-pattern lines on
> one graph (the default) it's not easy to understand what's going
> on.

That is reasonable for the web. Tamerlan was trying to produce graphs in
the same format as Dave's published graphs, which make sense for
printing which has to be black and white, but for the web colour might
be better.