RE: [OPE] webpage computing dynamic rate of profit

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 09:01:44 EDT

We are talking at cross purposes. A static equation for the rate of profit will have these properties as you say.
What is new in our work is the discovery that the dynamic attractor of the rate of profit is independent of the rate of exploitation.
Basically the equation for the dynamic attractor works out what rate of profit will cause the organic composition to stablise given the current share of reinvestment out of profit which is the source of new constant capital, and also the rate of depreciation, the rate of moral depreciation and the the rate of growth of the workforce, all of which are facturs tending to pull down the organic composition.

If you look at the countries for which statistics are good ( basically the OECD ones ) on the web site you can see that the actual rate of profit ( calculated with the static equation you are used to ) tends to approach the equilibrium rate. This is illustrated particularly well by Japan.

The equilibrium rate is basically a dynamic solution to the problem of the falling rate of profit.