RE: [OPE] webpage computing dynamic rate of profit

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 04:08:19 EDT

These are hardly new issues. When I started doing national accounts into marxian categories in the 1970s this was one of the first things that I noticed. For a while I tended to compute both the flow and the stock forms of the rate of profit. Each tells us a different thing s/(c+v) tells us the ratio of the population producing surplus goods to those producing non surplus goods. It is a simple dimensionless number. s/K on the other hand gives us the rate of growth of the value of invested capital stock. From the point of view of the analysis of industrial profit as compared to rate of interest this is the appropriate figure.

Then there is the issue raised by Jurrian, which is I think the most serious objection, that fixed capital stock as computed in the Penn World Tables does not adequately calculate stock of work in progress and inventories. I think this is a serious objection if, and it is a big if, the Penn World tables data for gross capital formation does not include formation of work in progress. In the UK national accounts there is an entry for growth of stocks ( either due to inflaton or buildup ), I dont know other national accounts well enough. It is thus possiblee for the compilers of the Penn WOrld Tables to include increments or decrements to work in progress in their capital formation.

A separate issue is the valuation of the stock of fixed or other capital by the Permanent Inventory Method.
The EPWT use a depreciation horizon of 14 years. The UK tables seem to use a depreciation horizon of just under 20 years. I am not sure what other estimates use. It is clear to me that the single biggest cause of divergence in estimating the rate of profit will be the time horizon used for deprciation.
I f one wants to compare this to practice, one needs to know the horizon typically used in company accounts.