RE: [OPE] The English sub-titling of 'Capital'?

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Tue May 26 2009 - 07:20:48 EDT

Hi Chris and others:

You didn't discuss below what for me seems to be the most glaring
difference: in the modified title 'critique of political economy'
was removed and something else very different in meaning was
substituted. Surely, Engels knew the meaning of critique so it is
somewhat puzzling why he would have agreed to "critical analysis".
[Perhaps Aveling, Moore, and Engels thought that 'critique' wasn't
a term as readily understandable in English?] But, the shift
in sub-title from "political economy" to "capitalist production"
represents an even more significant difference in meaning and emphasis.
An alternative translation, perhaps more readily understandable to
English readers" would have been "economics". In any event,
a sub-title which indicates that a work is a critique political
economy (economics) is surely not the same as the modified title.
[Perhaps Engels thought that there was too much emphasis in the title
on political economy?]. It's hard, probably impossible, to know
what they were thinking about when this change was made.

In solidarity, jerry