Re: [OPE] science and scientology

From: Gerald Levy <jerry_levy@verizon.net>
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 20:20:36 EDT

> In every field of scientific endeavour, there have been men and women who
> "defined" the problematics of a subject area by means of some "definitive
> research". We continue to refer to them, because the clarity and depth
> with which they stated what it is all about, remains unsurpassed - they
> remain a reference point, and a source of orientation. Hence also the
> scholarly idea of a "scientific authority" or a "scientific pioneer".

Hi Jurriaan:

Such as?

Such as Einstein in physics? When seeking answers to a new scientific
question, physicists don't constantly refer back to what Einstein wrote, do
they? They certainly don't assume that the answers they are seeking most
probably can be found by referring to the writings of Einstein.

Such as Copernicus in astronomy? Yet, when trying to understand some
new question in astronomy, do astronomers comb through the writings of
Copernicus for answers? Of course not.

No, that is simply not a method of investigation which is accpted as
legitimate by any reputable science. If you don't think so, then tell me
the name of any specific branch of science where it is considered
appropriate.