Re: [OPE] BBC E-mail: Venezuela bans sale of Coke Zero

From: Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es>
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 03:20:37 EDT

Hello Bullok.   Was Venezuelan decision of banning Coca-Cola Zero supported by a scientific analysis of its components? When Jesus Montilla, the minister of health, ordered to stop selling Coca-Cola Zero the last 11 of June, this analysis had not been made. I have tried to find news about the progress of a scientific report in order to support Venezuelan decision, and I have not found anything, except for the news that Jerry shared with us coming from an unconditional media supporter of Chávez: http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/   Was the decision of banning Red Bull in Germany supported by a scientific report showing minute traces of cocaine or by a simple ideological ill will on behalf German Government?   This is a key issue that differentiates a rule of law from despotic executive. And I’m using the term “despotic executive” in a political theory fashion, i.e. no mechanisms to protect civilians against arbitrary decision from the executive. It seems that Venezuelan Government behaves more and more in this way.   If this were a responsible government unfairly blamed by rightists worldwide, this impasse might be settled making available the scientific report that allegedly proves that Coca-Cola Zero is made in Venezuela with cyclohexylamine. One can’t find in the web of the Venezuelan Ministry of Health but a short note addressing the case http://www.mpps.gob.ve/ms/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2163   **Accountability**, that’s the key of a democratic government that chavistas constantly miss.   Regards,A. Agafonow ________________________________ De: Paul Bullock <paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk> Para: wrighti@acm.org; Outline on Political Economy mailing list <ope@lists.csuchico.edu> Enviado: miércoles, 17 de junio, 2009 9:34:22 Asunto: Re: [OPE] BBC E-mail: Venezuela bans sale of Coke Zero I see that Red Bull has now been  assessed as containing minute traces of cocaine in some batches.. .. Alejandro, does this mean that if Chavez doesn't ban it he is helping the cartels? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Wright" <wrighti@acm.org> To: "Outline on Political Economy mailing list" <ope@lists.csuchico.edu> Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:02 PM Subject: Re: [OPE] BBC E-mail: Venezuela bans sale of Coke Zero > The (quite nice) alcoholic drink absinthe has been banned in the USA > (from 1912) for its supposed harmful effects. Only recently (last year > I think) has the ban been partially lifted. > > I've tried Coke Zero, and looked at the ingredient list. It's clearly > a nasty drink. > > By forwarding this article it makes me think you will grab at anything > to try to criticize the current Venezuelan government, so it makes me > less likely to listen to you on this subject. > > By the way, as someone who has grown up with BBC news I can tell you > quite plainly that is is not objective and follows a definite > political agenda. > > On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Alejandro > Agafonow<alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es> wrote: >> Alejandro Agafonow saw this story on the BBC News website and thought you >> should see it. >> >> >> >> ** Venezuela bans sale of Coke Zero ** >> Venezuela bans the sale of the calorie-free Coke Zero, calling it harmful >> to people's well-being. >> < http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/business/8094679.stm > >> >> >> ** BBC Daily E-mail ** >> Choose the news and sport headlines you want - when you want them, all >> in one daily e-mail >> < http://www.bbc.co.uk/email > >> >> > _______________________________________________ > ope mailing list > ope@lists.csuchico.edu > https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/ope > _______________________________________________ ope mailing list ope@lists.csuchico.edu https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/ope