RE: [OPE] Productive and unproductive labour in the financial sector

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 04:42:32 EDT

Well one can redefine things that way, but all this says is that if you assume from the outset that banking is productive that you can impute a value to the services that it provides. That does not answer the prior question of whether it is productive.

If one used this approach to the medieval economy one would have had a similar entry into the national accounts for the sale of Papal indulgences -- the pension scheme of the day.
The papal indulgences undoubtedly got spent on real labour resources : the building of St Peter's and the
saying of masses, but was this productive?
Is the building of modern temples to finance, and the activities of those saying masses to mamon in front of computer terminals any different/
If one assumes from the start that any expenditure is productive you have no problem, but if Smith and Marx were onto something with their distinction, one has got to go beyond inventing what are ultimately appologetic accounting conventions.