[OPE] "US Labor day by the numbers"

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Mon Sep 07 2009 - 17:00:00 EDT

>From the EPI:
http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/labor_day_by_the_numbers/#When:05:05:54Z

>From President Obama's Labor Day speech, which doesn't mince words:

"We've never been this close. We've never had such broad agreement on what
needs to be done. And because we're so close to real reform, the special
interests are doing what they always do - trying to scare the American
people and preserve the status quo. But I've got a question for them: What's
your answer? What's your solution? The truth is, they don't have one. It's
do nothing. And we know what that future looks like."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/07/obama-labor-day-speech-at_n_278772.html

That's a striking turn of phrase: if "we've never had such broad agreement
on what needs to be done" why are there nevertheless "special interests"?

Looks to me from here as though US workers are beginning to get more active,
not necessarily because they want to, but because they have to...

Jurriaan