[OPE] Mistaking Mathematical Beauty for Economic Truth

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 09:55:36 EDT

It seems to me, though, that many radical economists also fell
(and continue to fall) in love with mathematical beauty and mistook
(and mistake) it for political-economic truth. The models, assumptions,
and math vary but it's also true that most radical economists weren't
able to see the _specific_ nature of this crisis coming and
were married to very general and stylized models of the economy.

In solidarity, Jerry